Monday, July 30, 2012

Taphophile Tragics # 32


Sometimes the expressions 'Never forgotten' and 'Always in our hearts' can be self-mocking, when one wanders around cemeteries. Of course, they are not, necessarily negated, just because a Resting Place appears uncared for. However, memory is often a treasured facility. Take this memorial out in Rookwood Necropolis in Section 12 of the Old Anglican section. Just general, rather than heritage.

This young lad, Leonard Madden, died in 1938 aged 10, meaning he was born in 1928. The headstone was dedicated by his parents and grandparents. Had Lennie lived, he would have been 84 this year. Making his parents about 110 and his grandparents about 135. So, who is replenishing these, admittedly fake, flowers. Even fake don't last forever.

* * * * *
Welcome to the 32nd week of Taphophile Tragics.

Your contribution is most welcome. Please ensure that you include some details of the cemetery in which you took your photographs, and link directly to your post, rather than simply to your blog in general. This week, Mr Linky opens at 9:30pm Monday, Sydney time (GMT+10), and closes at 9:30pm on the Friday. When you can, please visit the other contributing bloggers to show your appreciation of their endeavours. Due to time zone variations and overcrowded schedules, some contributions are made later than Tuesday/Wednesday. As per usual, we are working with the Linky with thumbnails, and displaying the oldest entry first, with no randomising.

13 comments:

Kate said...

There must be a relative or a friendly cemetery visitor that attends to some of the gravesites.

diane b said...

That is a good question. When I went to the cemetery to visit my parents' markers, I was surprised to see the plates shiny and clean. They had obviously been cleaned by someone not connected to the family.

VioletSky said...

I have also seen this on occasion and wondered....

Dina said...

A good point, a good question.
And, of course, good pictures.

I'm glad someone remembers Lennie.

Gemma Wiseman said...

There are certainly many flowers here at this grave that appear to be quite "fresh"! When I visited Sorrento cemetery, I met a man there who said he was employed by individuals to be caretaker of graves! That included both cleaning them and adding/refreshing flowers!

Jim said...

I don't have a new post today but I'm linking to one of my old posts, before your meme began.

Julie said...

Not an issue, Jim. Your linking is most welcome.

SeaThreePeeO said...

How beautiful, he is remembered by someone. Maybe someone like myself who is so touched by 'forgotten' children's graves they feel the need to take care of them.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

I have on occasion left flowers on strangers' graves. The act is symbolic and is in remembrance of our family's dead whose graves are thousands of kilometres over the seas...

Thanks for hosting, Julie

Julie said...

I place stones and plant a kiss. What goes around, comes around.

Magpie said...

Therese placed a link to your blog in a comment on a post at my blog. I, too, enjoy spending time reflecting in cemeteries. But have come across a practice in the Cemetery in Pine, Arizona that I have never noticed before. Maybe you can enlighten me. The majority of the headstones had children's names listed on the backside. Have you seen this before? Thank you for any information you might be able to share.

Julie said...

Ah ... done my rounds this week. I love you group of bloggers. So thoughtful and well researched. Just what I was hoping for. Thank you so much.

Shall come back again tomorrow ... just in case CaT finds her tongue ... *grin* ...

CaT said...

oh oh! i see you mentioned me... maybe i should do a post tomorrow... lets see.

an interesting question here. there is a grave here in boston that i have yet to find (i know at least the cemetery, haha), where someone apparently placed fresh flowers every single day. and nobody knew who that was. some case; no relatives left. every single day, and they never figure out who it was (or so i read.. )